Monday 11 January 2010

Throbbing Gristle/Amsterdam Zoo Videos

It's been quite a while since I updated, Nov/Dec were a bit of a downer for me but the new term makes me feel a bit fresher. So, I'll try and back track to where I was and continue from there...

I finished the Throbbing Gristle video I was working on and put it to sound I'd been making using cassette players. In retrospect it was fun to do and I did spend quite a bit of time doing it all, though at the time I felt it was half arsed and a bit of a failure. I think its ok though, with the ideas I had this is all it could have been, technically speaking at least.

Having re-watched it for the first time in a couple of months I realise I am pleased with it, I think the sound is good especially and though it doesn't fit so well in some places it does in others, and my intention was simply to put the sound on and see if some of it did sync. Having Throbbing Gristle as the subject matter makes any interpretation lean towards it being some sort of homage however. But I guess that's ok too because if it weren't for people that like I suppose I wouldn't have been inspired to make sound work.

In addition I also made a short video from Super 8 footage I took of monkeys in Amsterdam Zoo back in August. This was another video/sound experiment, and in all honestly I banged the video part out in an (ill) afternoon prior to our tabletop review thing. Again I decided that I didn't like it (though I did at first) and then grew to like it again... I don't know what I think about it. I know it didn't take me that long to make and that it was supported really by only one vague idea. I do like it a bit though. The sound is the best part once again i think.

I've had trouble getting the videos up this time but they are both on YouTube and here are the links, copy and paste please:

Throbbing Gristle Super 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQks6u4csmA

Still -


Amsterdam Zoo Super 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xvFCIXDgM

Still -

No comments:

Post a Comment